Monday, October 29, 2012

IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL


VERSE 1
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

CHORUS
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul

VERSE 2 ***
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul

VERSE 3
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

VERSE 4 ***
For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul

VERSE 5 ***
But, Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

VERSE 6 
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul

This beautiful hymn is a favorite of our congregation ! The words are especially touching when you know the story behind the song.  Horatio G. Spafford and his wife Anna were Christians, activists in the abolitionist & temperance movements, and residents of Chicago in the mid-1800's.  Scarlet fever claimed the life of one of their 5 children early on (their only son, Horatio), and the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 literally burned up much of the families assets.  In 1873, the Spafford's planned a trip to Europe to attend a revival meeting.  Horatio stayed behind for business reasons while Anna and their 4 girls went ahead; they were to meet in England.  Tragically, their ship was struck by another ship and Anna was the lone survivor of the shipwreck.  From England, Anna telegraphed Horatio this message: "Saved alone.  What shall I do...".  As he passed over the shipwreck site on his way to bring Anna home, Horatio wrote the words to this song.  In 1876 Philip P. Bliss set these words to music

In 1880, after re-settling in Chicago & having 3 more children, their second son also died.  In 1881 they decided to leave America and moved to Jerusalem, Israel to serve the poor and provide care for homeless children.

*** We traditionally only sing verses 1, 3 and 6, however I find verses 2, 4, and 5 to be equally beautiful !  Especially the second line of verse 5 "the sky, not the grave, is our goal!"

No comments:

Post a Comment